TOP NEWS

Metro

World

Spiritual

News

Sports

Celebs & Showbiz

Opinion

20 Jul 2019

JUST IN: Foursquare Gospel Church Gets New General Overseer

Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria have a new General Overseer.
He is Rev Sam Aboyeji, who was the Midwest region overseer of the church until his election a few minutes ago.

He was elected at the Ajebo Camp of the church along Lagos Ibadan Expressway.

He won with 1670 votes to 672 scored by  Rev. Isaac Komolafe,  the overseer over the Northern region of the church.

He takes over from Rev Felix Meduoye, who has attained the statutory retirement age of 70.

Details Shortly…

N70m Ransom: Siasia Pleads With Kidnappers To Release His Mother

Former Super Eagles Coach, Samson Siasia has appealed to the kidnappers of his aged mother, Mrs. Ogere Siasia to set her free.

According to family members, the gunmen, who snatched the mother of Siasia, have reportedly called his cousin with a foreign phone number, demanding N70m to release the 80-year-old woman.
Siasia, a former Flying Eagles and Super Eagles striker, who is currently out of the country in a telephone interview said he has not spoken personally with the kidnappers. “The kidnappers I just want to say please, I beg una..

The woman don old please release her abeg. I don’t have a job in the last 3 years. She is an old woman, with this cold, she may not survive it. I don’t have that kind of money they are asking for” he said. The septuagenarian and two others were whisked away from Odoni, a riverside town in Sagbama Local Government Area, Bayelsa State.

The abductors were said to have invaded the area at about 2am last Monday. A family member who spoke with Sunday Vanguard described the octogenarian as hypertensive lamenting that she was forcibly taken away without her drugs.

He said: “She was taken away without taking along her drugs. We are full of prayers and hoping she would be released soon.”

Police search efforts ongoing Meantime, the state police command says the search for the rescue of the kidnapped victims was ongoing.

According to the command, its marine components had been deployed in Odoni waterways of Sagbama local government area of the state as part of efforts to rescue the kidnapped octogenarian and two other women, Mrs Florence Douanana, 65, and a girl, Selekire Douanana, who is 17.

The police commissioner, Uche Anozia, who visited the community after the incident had assured that the command, was doing everything possible for the victims to regain their freedom. “The police are on top of the game to rescue the victims.

I am assuring the public and the relatives that no stone is left unturned. We have deployed the Marine component in the waterways in the area,” he stated.

On stemming incidence of kidnapping, the police commissioner said the command would continue to work hard to take control of the marine landscape in the state. “You know Bayelsa is 80 per cent water and that means our operation is mainly focusing on waterways,” Anozie said.

Ortom Backs Obasanjo, Calls For National Summit On Insecurity

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, on Saturday, called on President Muhammadu Buhari to as a matter of urgency, convoke a National  Dialogue Forum that would afford all Nigerians the opportunity to speak on issues affecting the country, particularly insecurity and proffer solutions.

Ortom stated that such a forum would serve as an interim measure to put an end to the wave of threats and counter-threats emanating from different sections of the country.
The governor who made the call while playing host to the President of Evangelical Church Winning All, ECWA, Reverend Stephen Panya Baba, at Government House, Makurdi, enjoined security agencies not to ignore those beating drums of war.

“President Muhammadu Buhari should convoke a National Dialogue Forum where Nigerians would frankly speak on issues affecting the country, particularly insecurity and proffer solutions”, he said.

He condemned the latest order by Miyetti Allah’s Kautal Hore to its members to defend themselves against ethnic militia attacks.

Ortom said the order was capable of causing unimaginable violence, stressing that it was unfair that the group would continue to make statements capable of setting the nation on fire yet officials of the group were not invited for questioning.

Ortom, however, urged the Federal Government to fulfil its promise to resettle internally displaced persons, living in various camps in Benue State following herdsmen attacks on the state last year.

The Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo had visited the IDP camps in May 2018 and announced that the Federal Government had earmarked N10 billion for the resettlement of victims of the attacks in Benue and other states.

Ortom said resources of Benue State had been overstretched as they had to manage the IDP camps. He added that if the Federal Government redeemed its pledge, the funds would greatly assist the state in returning the affected persons to their ancestral homes.

Reverend Panya Baba commended Governor Ortom, who he said stood firmly with his people despite the security and political storm, saying it was an indication that the Governor was a leader who truly loves his people.

AFCON Golden Boot Winner, Ighalo, Retires From International Football

Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo announced on Saturday his retirement from international football after winning the Golden Boot at the Africa Cup of Nations.

The 30-year-old Shanghai Shenhua striker struck five times as the Super Eagles finished third in Egypt, bagging him the top scorer honours with two goals more than Sadio Mane, Riyad Mahrez and Cedric Bakambu.
"It's been an amazing 5 years journey, but after the due consultation and extensive discussion with my family, I have decided it's time for me to retire from the national team," Ighalo said in a statement.

"It's been an eventful and most memorable opportunity to serve my country with pride, passion and contribute my quota to the development of our football.

"It's now time to concentrate on club football and give the younger players a chance to learn and grow."

Ighalo almost quit Nigeria duty after last year's World Cup following sharp criticism and even death threats, but was encouraged to stay on by Gernot Rohr, who Ighalo says stood by him "against all odds".

He repaid in full Rohr's faith in him, finishing top scorer in qualifying for the tournament before his impressive showing in Egypt, which featured a standout display as Nigeria knocked out defending champions Cameroon in the last 16.

Ighalo scored twice and set up Alex Iwobi's winner in a thrilling 3-2 win.

In total Ighalo scored 16 goals for Nigeria in 35 appearances, and he also captained the country´s Under-20 team to the 2009 World Cup, also held in Egypt, Agence France Presse reports.

Japan To Educate 100 Imo Youths On Solar Energy

The Japanese government has said that it had commenced the training of 100 youths in Imo in the use of solar energy.

The Japanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Yukata Kikuta, who spoke when he paid a visit to Imo State to install the donation of 100 solar-powered street lights worth over N31 million (US$86,241) to Ezeagbogu in Ezinihitte Mbaise Council Area of Imo State by the Japanese government said that his country was committed to helping the Nigerian economy.
According to the Japanese ambassador, the solar energy project fell under the scheme of Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Project of his country.

He informed that in the last 20 years, the Asian country had funded over 170 projects in various parts of Nigeria.

The diplomat said the projects were worth over 12 million US dollars.

Kikuta said that his country in partnership with a technology company, Koyo Corporation and Development Dynamics, a non-governmental organisation had commenced training of youths in the maintenance of the project and would in two years time, trained about 100 youths in various fields of technology.

Kituka said, “Japan is strongly committed to supporting Nigeria as declared at the sixth Tokyo International Conference on Africa Development TICAD VI.”

“The Embassy of Japan hopes that this assistance will contribute to the improvement of safety in the community and will strengthen the amicable relationship between Japan and Nigeria.”

Appeal Court Sacks Ondo APC Lawmaker

The Court of Appeal sitting in Akure, the Ondo State capital on Friday upheld the judgement of the Ondo State High Court which sacked a member of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Mr. Sina Akinwunmi representing Okitipupa constituency 2 on the platform of the All Progressives Congress.

The state High Court had on May 15, 2019 ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to withdraw the Certificate of Return earlier issued to Akinwumi and give it to James Ololade-Gbegudu from the same party.
The lower court declared Ololade-Gbegudu, the winner of the APC State Assembly primary conducted on October 5, last year in the state constituency and nullified the election of Akinwumi.

Though Akinwumi contested and won the March 9, 2019 House of Assembly election in the constituency, the court upheld that Ololade-Gbegudu won the party’s primary and should be the candidate of the APC in the general election.

Not satisfied with the verdict, Akinwumi approached the appellate court to challenge the lower court’s judgement.

In a unanimous judgement, delivered by Justices M.A Dajuma, R.A Abdullahi, P.A Mahmoud, the appellate court held that the INEC should recognize Ololade-Gbegudu as the winner of the APC assembly primary.

While dismissing the appellant petition, the appellate court verdict, which was read by Justice M.A Danjuma, also directed the Ondo State House of Assembly to swear-in Ololade-Gbegudu as a member from Okitipupa-2.

Obeying the order of the High Court, INEC had last month withdrawn the Certificate of Return issued to Akinwumi and declared Ololade-Gbegudu as the representative of the Okitipupa constituency 2 at the House of Assembly.

Man Electrocuted In Anambra While Working On A Tree

A middle-aged man identified as Nduka Emeziagbala, died on Friday, at Enugwu-Agidi community in Anambra in circumstances suspected to be electrocution.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered on Saturday that the incident occurred while the victim was up on a breadfruit tree, which he was hired to cut its branches under electricity high tension cable in the community.

The deceased was believed to have had contact with something bearing electricity current while on the three trying to shed the branches, and got electrocuted.
He was said to have fallen off the tree and died in a condition depicting electrocution.

An eyewitness said that the deceased from Iruobieri village was given the job following the warning by Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) on the dangers of the tree.

The company had said that it was necessary to cut down the tree to ensure the free flow of electricity current on the wires.

“In the process, the young man was hired to cut down branches of the tree because of the repeated warning from officers of the EEDC,” the source said.

Another source, who said that the incident had thrown the entire community in Njikoka Local Government Area into the morning, described the deceased as “a quiet young man, who cared for his mother more than his siblings’’.

In his reaction, President-General of Enugwu-Agidi Brotherly Union (EBU), Mr Chidi Okoye, described the incident as regrettable but blamed it on the carelessness of the deceased.

Okoye said the leadership of the union had earlier engaged some villagers on the need to allow EEDC to cut down the tree due to the inherent dangers it posed.

“It is unfortunate that the young man died in that manner. We expected that there would have been a proper communication with the EEDC before cutting down the tree.

“He just lost his life out of sheer carelessness. The sad incident is a lesson to everybody in the community,” he said.

Okoye, however, cautioned youths in the area not to take laws into their hands, advising that there was no need for civil unrest in the community as a result of the incident.

He disclosed that the deceased’s body had been deposited in a mortuary in the community.

Contacted, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Mr Haruna Mohammed, told NAN that the case was not reported to the police.

Mohammed, however, said that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of the area notified him that the deceased did not die of electrocution.

“Investigation revealed that the deceased fell from Ukwa (breadfruit) tree and became unconscious.

“He was taken to a hospital where he later died.

“But, the matter was not officially reported to the police,” he said.

Mason Greenwood Leads Manchester United to Win vs. Inter Milan

Manchester United opened their 2019 International Champions Cup campaign with a win, beating Inter Milan 1-0 in Singapore on Saturday.

Substitute Mason Greenwood found the net in the 76th minute, while summer signing Aaron Wan-Bissaka also caught the eye for the Red Devils, who stepped up their preparations for the new Premier League season with an impressive performance.

United were the better side for the opening 45 minutes, with Paul Pogba pulling the strings from midfield while Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial combined brilliantly up top.
The latter drew a smart stop from Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic after 25 minutes. Martial went close again four minutes before after getting off his shot following a slick one-two with buccaneering centre-back Victor Lindelof.

United dominated but couldn't find a breakthrough, and the half ended goalless. Even so, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would have been impressed with his established players and new signings.

In particular, right-back Wan-Bissaka, signed from Crystal Palace for an initial £45 million, was treating fans to a clinic in the art of defending:

Looking to put Wan-Bissaka and Co. under greater pressure, the Nerazzurri brought Ivan Perisic off the bench for the start of the second half. His introduction hardly mattered, though, as United were in on goal again moments after the restart when Martial played in Jesse Lingard, who saw his low drive cleared off the line.

United kept on the pressure on, and Nemanja Matic soon headed off the post, while Pogba forced another save from Handanovic. His team was in the ascendancy, but Solskjaer was soon forced into a key change at the back:

Solskjaer made some more changes thereafter, including bringing on Greenwood and midfielder Andreas Pereira. The two subs soon combined, with Greenwood sending Pereira clear, only for the latter to be felled by Inter centre-back Milan Skriniar.

Although the challenge occurred in the box, the referee wasn't moved by United's appeals for a penalty. Another substitute, Tahith Chong, was next to go over in the area, but again no spot-kick was awarded.

A goal was coming, and it arrived 14 minutes from time when Greenwood reacted quickest after Handanovic made a mess of saving an Ashley Young free-kick, allowing the 17-year-old to finish smartly on the turn.

Greenwood could have made it 2-0 four minutes after opening the scoring but saw his volley clip the bar. The chance came after some deft work from Chong.

United's youth products impressed in the second half, building on what was an assured display from a team showcasing dangerous pace and flair on the break.

What's Next?

United face Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur in Shanghai on Thursday. Meanwhile, Inter will also travel to China, where they will meet Serie A foes Juventus in Nanjing on Wednesday.

Ighalo joins Rashidi Yekini, Odegbami in AFCON golden boot hall of fame

Odion Jude Ighalo has won the highest goal scorer award at the just concluded 2019 Africa Cup of Nations on Friday night.

The Super Eagles star scored five goals in the 32nd edition of the African football showpiece in Egypt.
Ighalo becomes the second player after late Rashidi Yekini to have amassed five goals for Nigeria in the tournament.

The 30-year-old also becomes the second Eagles player, after the Rashidi Yekini-Jay Jay Okocha era to have won the golden boots award at the AFCON.

He also becomes the sixth Nigerian after Segun Odegbami, Rasheed Yekini, Julius Aghaowa, Jay-Jay Okocha and Emmanuel Emenike to win this prize.

The Shanghai Shenhua of China star striker scored in the third minute of play in the third-place match between Nigeria and Tunisia on Wednesday night.

He scored a total of five goals at the 2019 AFCON.

He scored his debut AFCON goal in Nigeria’s first group B game against Burundi. He got himself on the scoresheet again with a brace in the 3-2 enthralling round of 16 match against Cameroon to bring his tally to three.

He scored his fourth on the spot in the 2-1 loss to Algeria in the semi-final.

Ighalo netted his fifth goal of the tournament in the third-place match against Tunisia to drift away in the race for the golden boot, two clear of his closest challengers Adam Ounas and Sadio Mane of Algeria and Senegal respectively.

KCee Talks Rape And Getting A Woman's Consent

“Limpopo” crooner, KCee has taken to social media to share with his fans how to get the consent of the woman.

The singer took to his Instagram to share his thoughts on the issue of rape which has been a recurring conversation in Nigeria.
According to the award-winning musician, most rape victims get blamed for a crime committed against them. Sharing the tips on getting sexual consent, he wrote:

“Rape is the only crime the victim becomes the accused.

For those of you that find it difficult to get the consent of a woman sexually, here are some tips that may help you.

Have a good manner of approach. Make enough money to buy her designers bags like the ones am buying now. Show emotions and affections at all times. Be in her plans and always plan with her. Send her surprise gifts. They also love flowers a lot, and above all send her money without seasoning.

By the time you fulfill the above mentioned obligations she is all yours already. If you can’t cope kindly ijo soapy #Saynotorape love is a beautiful thing.”

It would be recalled that issue of rape recently became a topic of conversation for many when Busola Dakolo, the wife of Nigerian musician, Timi Dakolo came forward with a rape allegation against the global senior pastor of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo. According to her, he raped her twice in one week when she was a teenager and although Fatoyinbo maintained his innocence, he took a leave of absence from the pulpit.
 
Copyright © 2015 247 Nigeria News Update
Website by Tech Guardian